Re: CULT: Diseased TB?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Diseased TB?
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:06:03 -0500

Hello Barbara,

Your symptoms sound like scorch.  I'm sorry to hear it may affect irises so
far north.  I thought it was generally more common down here in our sunny,
hot climes.  If it is, my best advice is simply to chunk it and try to
obtain new rhizomes.  I've been plagued with this for the last several
seasons (and wish it would go away).  I tried a number of methods last year
trying to salvage the victims.  I don't know whether any really worked or
not.  The recovery percent wasn't good.  Those that still survive will not
bloom as quickly as if I had simply replaced the lot with a new rhizome and
started over.  Of course, if you were to have something rare, special and
hard to obtain, then any effort would be worth trying.  If not, then I'd
recommend simply starting over.

I really wish someone, somewhere, would find out the cause and hopefully, a
cure or preventative.  I had hoped with our cool, damp spring I wouldn't see
any this year, but that was not the case.  Not the numbers from last year,
but it makes me wonder how long it may take to show up after an iris is
infected or whatever and makes me worry about what may still be in front of

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7, USA