Re: HYB: CULT: Very late bloomers and a tough Louisiana

  • Subject: Re: HYB: CULT: Very late bloomers and a tough Louisiana
  • From: jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 02:35:31 -0000

Hi, Vince --  Good to hear from you  --  No, I don't think I'll try
any Canadian capers.  My TBs, spurias and lone Louisiana were bloomed
out before the C&P/FSK show, including the very lates.  I'm just in a
zone 6/7 climate pocket down here near Mount Vernon.  Don Spoon's
gardens used to be just across the river from me and he had the same
problem of bloomout before the show.  He has solved it by moving to
the mountains of northwestern Virginia and establishing Winterberry
Gardens, but I have too many roots of other kinds to leave this area

For those of you who may be interested:  A friend gave me a couple of
Louisianas which were planted near a seep under some willows.  I have
no constantly wet spot in my yard, so took them to the seedling
patch, where I have a corner that stays wet too long to grow beardeds
there.  I had ditched that corner to drain it, and I planted the
Louisianas on the side of the dirt pile just where the ditch exited
the garden, in full sun.  We had a drought this spring and even the
wet corner dried up.  One died, but the other, a red, bloomed
beautifully and is increasing nicely. I'm tempted to let the ditch
silt up.

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac in Virginia. jgcrump@erols.com