Re: CULT: Diseased TB?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Diseased TB?
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:43:45 -0500

> The encouraging thing is that I saw no evidence of spreading.  The first
> time my irises got it I expected to see half the garden wiped out the next
> year, and it didn't happen.  It doesn't appear to be spread by air, water,
> or soil.
>  My personal experience indicates that it is a relatively rare occurance.
>
> Betty / Bowling Green KY USA  Zone 6
> Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.

  Last year at the AIS Convention in Dallas where scorch was so
widespread, there was talk of it being spread by an insect.  I think
that is a 'wife's' tale.

 Anybody try Dial soap or an aspirin for rot this year?  Using the
germicidal Dial was the 'talk of iris-talk' last winter, but I cannot
remember anybody bragging on its 'miracle cure' ability during the
rot season this spring.  No praise for the aspirin a day treatment
either.

 I couldn't tell that either did anything on the few plants I had
with rot, but old Comet or bleach sure fixed them up.

 With the scorch treatments recommendid - burying the rhizomes or
baking them on the cement drive, I had one buried alive to send up a
new leaf, but it rotted before I could elevate it.  Kinda sad about
the clump the scorch invaded.  It was RARE EDITION, which was an old
timer here.  It is completely gone.  But, having scorch invade only
one clump out of at least a thousand isn't so bad.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8