Re: CULT: Growing tall bearded Iris in pots

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Growing tall bearded Iris in pots
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:12:37 -0500
On 26 Jun 01, at 9:54, Glenn Grigg wrote:

> I am amazed at all the discussions on iris-talk about growing tall bearded
> iris in pots in lieu of the earth. Do you all realize that you are talking
> about plants that 75 years age were used to stabilize erosion on ditch
> banks. Yes they are much better looking flowers today, but how pretty must
> the flowers be 75 years from now when they will have to be grown in a
> greenhouse.
   Think of the number of added iris enthusiasts who have lived in apartments
or condos all of their lives and longed to grow irises but couldn't.
Now they can use their balcony, veranda, deck or patio for beautiful
potted bearded irises.  The potential for rebloom may be even greater
because the environment of a potted iris can be better controlled
than one stuck in the earth.

> The hybridizers must wake up and see where they are taking the iris plant!
>  This is not all good!

   To the ends of the earth!

If you are also a daylily fancier you will note
> that daylilies have also recently become much prettier  with ruffles,
> picotee edges and blended colors. But now some of the most progressive (as
> far as pretty flowers are concerned) hybridizers are now located within 50
> miles of Disney World in Florida. Will 75 years of progress leave the
> modern daylily a plant that will grow well only in central Florida. You
> can substitute northern California and the Willamette Valley of Oregon for
> the modern tall bearded iris in another 25 years!
   Whoa!  I grow and hybridize daylilies - spiders only, if you please - no lace or
picoteed edges for me!

   Backyard hobbyists all over the world will prevent your theory of where things
will grow from ever seeing the light of day!  Hey, 99% of Oregon-bred irises love

Glenn, thanks every so much for this post. I don't know how much of
this you really believe or how much is irony/sarcasm.  Guess what!
You may have started the first thread we've had in ages.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8