RE: [iris-talk ] PHOTO:Digital camera vs Digital Camcorder

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk ] PHOTO:Digital camera vs Digital Camcorder
  • From: "McCullough, Greg" <icity@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:37:36 -0500

I recently purchased a Fuji Finepix S1 Pro and am very happy with it (and
will be even happier after I figure out all the buttons, settings and
menus). It takes very good pictures with almost no involvement on my part.
It came with a 1 gigabyte removable hard drive and at a fairly high
resolution, but not the highest, each picture takes 10 megabytes of space as
a .tif file. To get the picture onto your camera you just pop the hard drive
out and then into a reader or a pcmcia card. With the supplied software your
computer just treats it as another hard drive.  I tell people that it will
make a professional photographer out of me.

Bad news...it's pretty expensive but coming down. At introduction last year
it was $4,000, excluding lenses, and it's now in the $2,500-$3,000 range and
will probably drop more as I've heard that other companies are rolling out
lower cost professional models. I take a lot of pictures each year for my
catalog and web site and this camera will pay for itself in a couple of
years from savings on slide film and scanning. Interesting that where I got
too much purple using slide film,  I seem to get too much aqua/blue using
digital.

BTW, notice that I added a subject tag, PHOTO:, to this message as you
should in the future. This helps greatly when searching the archives. Also,
we generally identify ourselves and our location and other interesting facts
about us in a signature block as follows:

Greg McCullough
Iris City Gardens
www.iriscitygardens.com
Primm Springs, TN, USA (just southwest of Nashville)
zone 6