Re: CULT: Growing tall bearded Iris in pots

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Growing tall bearded Iris in pots
  • From: Foley Martin <emjfoley@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:00:18 -0700 (PDT)

 Messers. Grigg and Sutton, no doubt you folks have more experience growing irises than I. Got into them because it is the hybridizing which separates irises from all the rest of the plant world. Living on the northern frontier, am in tornado alley, as well as Alberta clipper territory. The ability to move the containers from the garden to the garage during the summer has saved more than a few seed pods. Sanding water in the containers? Just tilt the containers, no more standing water. I hear and respect what you both are saying, but think irises are easier to grow in containers. Didn't I read somewhere where Atroviolacea was used at gravesides during the 1800's? Times changes, so do iris gardens. I guess its a sign of the times.
Best regards, Martin
  Mike Sutton <suttons@lightspeed.net> wrote: it's much harder for an iris to survive in a pot anyway.  Just the fact that
they can is a testimony to their hardiness.  BTW not all CA climates are
moderate and costal.
Mike Sutton
Porterville, CA USA
USDA zone 8b