Re: PHOTO: Digital camera

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] PHOTO: Digital camera
  • From: Foley Martin <emjfoley@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:02:50 -0700 (PDT)

 Sony Mavica, model MVC-CD1000, $1200, Circuit City, 3yr warranty, up to 100 pictures per hard CD which fits into back of camera. Paint Shop Pro v7.0 photo software for the images seen on iris-photos.
Best regards, Martin
  laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net> wrote: >I notice just days ago that someone was asking about digital
>  camera's.  I was disappointed that there was so little response.  The
>  one reply I read was an informed one.

My response will be informed only as far as relates to my own brief and
novice experience with my own digital camera.

>I'd like information from all on what camera they use (include model please)

Kodak DC280 purchased off eBay for $329 as a factory refurbished unit
with full 1-yr warranty and all original software/accessories.

>how satisfied they are,

Very.  It's an easy-to-learn-and-use digital that takes great iris pics
(or so I'm told).  Its blue renditions are far more accurate than any
I've ever managed to capture with a standard print camera. Shots can get
a bit blurry if I'm trying to shoot whole stalks on a windy day, but I
imagine there are ways to compensate for that with camera settings yet to
be explored by me.  I haven't yet tried to make a hard copy print of a
digital image (I only own an old dot matrix printer), but they should
turn out well with my camera's 2.0 megapixel resolution.

>  what camera they would purchase if they could today

Probably the same one just because it's given me no reason not to.

>Value of features.

I like the fact that this camera operates on rechargeable batteries, AA
alkaline batteries, or an optional AC adapter.  The compactflash cards it
uses are easy to change and tote around.  It has 2X optical and 3X
digital zoom, along with a macro setting that allows close-ups to 10" (I
do wish it was closer - it's difficult to get a decent pic of an MDB from
10" away).  I found it particularly useful to be able to hook this camera
up to my TV to view pics while my computer was being repaired, though
some of the colors that appeared on my TV screen were altogether
startling!

>Ease of putting pictures on computer for web sharing.

Since my Mac-compatible is running an older OS, I can't take advantage of
the very fast USB connection option on my camera.  I'm stuck with the
very slow serial connection.  It works, but it can take a very long time
to get all my pics downloaded.

I have just started posting some of my digital pics to iris-photos, and I
intend to post 6 new cvs each day until I run out (which should happen
sometime before Christmas  ;-)  ).  If you'd like to see what my Kodak
DC280 has been busy doing this bloom season, pop over to iris-photos and
take a look.

Laurie