Re: CULT: Growing Irises in Pots

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Growing Irises in Pots
  • From: ranchiris@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:23:57 EDT

We have a long time member of our Tucson Club who grows her iris exclusively
in pots.  She lives in a condo and has health problems that require she stay
out of the sun.  The iris are all rebloomers, grown in
3-5gallon pots with regular fertilizing.  It does help to be able to give
summer shade to rebloomers here in the hot desert.  She has excellent bloom,
and I must say I'm impressed that she is so dedicated to growing her irises!
    I am experimenting with growing LA's & Spurias in 40 gal. plastic tubs
that originally came filled with cattle feed supplement. (Got tired of
digging holes in the rocks & caliche - although cleaning out the cement-like
molasses and cow slobber ain't so great either!)
    The LA's are very happy so far, planted in acid medium & kept in partial
shade under a mesquite tree for the summer.  They get water twice a week.  I
put only three small holes in those tubs - not good drainage, but enough to
prevent standing water and smell/mosquito problems.
    The Spurias are in the sun & their tubs have four larger drainage holes
and a less rich soil mix.  About two-thirds of them bloomed their first year
this spring.  I recently cut off the water to the Spurias to let (force) them
to go dormant, as it would be hard and expensive to keep them well watered
all summer here.  I'll see what will come back this fall.  I'm hoping they'll
do well and that it will make them easier to divide later.
Kathy Chilton
Tucson Area Iris Society
Tucson, AZ 85736
Zone 8/9  Where the beginnings of the summer monsoon rain pattern has given
us some light but precious rain this week.