RE: Re: CULT: Vinegar-based herbicides

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: Vinegar-based herbicides
  • From: "McCullough, Greg" <icity@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:15:40 -0500

I'll give this a shot, but just remember that I'm the chief FINANCIAL
officer. Our scientists are, of course, more knowledgeable, but sadly not
iris fans and are not on this list. Our current Weed and Grass killer has 2%
Eugenol, 2% Thyme Oil and 1% Sodium Laurel Sulfate (a surfactant) as active
ingredients. The label has the precautionary statement that "Causes
substantial but temporary eye injury" but this is related to the acetic acid
(vinegar) in the product.

A bit of history, our company was started based on an observation that
certain grocery store fragrances and oils caused insects to die. Our
research over the past 10 years led to the discovery that certain food-grade
plant oils (all registered with the FDA as Generally Recognized As Safe) had
a chemical structure was almost identical to that of an insects primary
neurotransmitter, octopamine. However, the nerve receptors favor the plant
oils over the octopamine, blinding over the receptors and causing the
insects vital functions to shut down resulting in very rapid death.  Of
course it also makes an excellent repellant because the closer an insect
comes to the product the more it disrupts the nervous system. They also
can't develop a resistance to it as that would entail growing a new nervous

Our early tests of our insecticide in greenhouse and field tests were highly
effective with just one drawback, it also killed all the plants within hours
of spraying the insects. And not just killed the plant, but burned it down
to a blackened powder in 8-10 hours. Turns our that certain mixtures cause
the cell walls of plants to explode.

We are marketing a retail line of products and a professional line and our
research department has a pipeline full of products and refinements of
existing products. Our retail products have the Good Housekeeping Seal.

We're pretty excited about all this.....

Greg McCullough
Iris City Gardens
Primm Springs, TN USA (just southwest of Nashville)
zone 6