Re: Re: CULT: Growing Irises in Pots

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: Growing Irises in Pots
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gerrysnyder@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:47:39 -0700

ranchiris@aol.com wrote:
>     The Spurias are in the sun & their tubs have four larger drainage holes
> and a less rich soil mix.  About two-thirds of them bloomed their first year
> this spring.  I recently cut off the water to the Spurias to let (force) them
> to go dormant, as it would be hard and expensive to keep them well watered
> all summer here.

No water at all for the whole summer? In full sun, in pots? Well, you do
get some summer rain, there, unlike here.

Will be most interested in hearing how they do. Jeanne Plank had a
spuria that did much better for a couple years than it had before. They
found that a water pipe in its vicinity had sprung a leak, keeping the
iris moist all the time.

But mostly dry summers are what they are used to, so you should be okay.

Gerry, learning more about iris all the time
Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP
in warm, winterless Los Angeles--USDA 9b-ish, Sunset 18-19