PHOTO: film for accurate blues

  • Subject: PHOTO: film for accurate blues
  • From: laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 01 06:52:18 -0000

>First, I need to apologize for RJ's ignorance. I am a professional
>photographer,
>and occasionally I let him help me. He has taken a class or two and fancies
>himself an expert, which he is not.

Thank you, Katherine, for your well-considered, respectful, and
intelligent primer on cameras.  I, for one, very much appreciate it.  I
do have a question regarding film.  It sounds like there's unlikely to be
a single film that can be counted on to render accurate colors across the
color spectrum, and that's a problem when one is shooting irises that DO
encompass such a broad variety of color ... sometimes within a single
bloom.  One of the most glaring problems, however, is accurate blue
rendition.  I've tried Kodak and Fuji films, but all I ever seem to end
up with are blue and near-blue irises that turn out lavender-purple on
film.  Of course, this may be as much the fault of the mass market labs I
use as it is the film, but I wonder if there's a specific film you can
recommend for shooting bluish irises in the garden under natural light.

Again, I appreciate your taking time to share your expertise.

Laurie