Re: PHOTO: cameras

  • Subject: Re: PHOTO: cameras
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:20:32 -0400

I have a Hewlett Packard Photosmart 210, bought for ~$150 at WalMart
last Christmas (special sale).  I wound up spending another ~$50
eventually for a larger flashcard (where the digital camera stores
pictures) and a USB port flashcard reader, plus I was given a tripod,
which is really helpful since this camera doesn't have 'thru the lens'
viewfinder.  It's easy to use, point and click, with digital zoom &
macro (sort of like zoom).  Drawbacks - it eats batteries fairly
regularly & won't operate on regular AA batteries (needs those expensive
silver colored 'e' AA batteries); pix are out of focus on closeups; it's
hard to get close shots of flowers centered buy using the viewfinder
(almost have to use the display screen - easy with a tripod, much more
difficult when hand-held); it's kind of junky - the little on/off &
display switches don't work 100% of the time so it gets stuck (just like
our PCs do) occasionally & batteries have to be removed to 'reboot'.

As another non-photographer, I wanted the cheapest digital camera I
could find that would take pictures of irises that were recognizeable,
both for my own use, for rhizome sales, & to post photos of unknowns for
help in IDing.  I'm sure the photos I've posted make some folks cringe
at the lack of resolution, but I have been really satisifed with what I
got for my money.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8