OT:Conventions

No really suitable subject tag for this.  I remembered seeing an iris-talk
letter mentioning an Australian regional iris convention or something.  I
don't know if I would actually go for it, but I'd at least be very
interested if there is sort of Australian (national) iris society (or a
regional one that was definitely the "best") that was having a major
convention (the "best" region would be more important than the year, since I
would probably only go to Australia once).  It might be a fun trip,
especially if optional tours were available for non-iris-related
sightseeing.  I'd love to see Australia, don't know what would be the most
interesting thing to see (not the Sydney opera house, I prefer natural
scenery to big cities), and I would certainly trust iris people to make more
sincere recommendations and value-oriented plans than professional travel
agencies.  Not to mention the obviously superior company!  I might be
interested in visiting other countries as well; an iris convention sounds
like a great focal point.  Any ideas?  Anything like that out there?  Being
a US citizen, I already know about AIS conventions.  Any foreign ones I
would love to know about.  The bigger the better; we have some regional
conventions here that really wouldn't be worth a plane trip, but a national
is generally nice.  For the US, pick Oregon, Washington, or somewhere in the
Northeast for the most beautiful visits.

John Reeds, in sunny southern Calif.
jreeds@microsensors.com