Re: CULT: Vinegar-based herbicides and nematode Q?

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Vinegar-based herbicides and nematode Q?
  • From: acermay@gateway.net
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 01:23:49 -0000

Hi Greg and all you vinegar inspired Iris people-
I own an organic landscape design/maintenance company outside Chgo
and use the Bioganic products often.  I also lecture on organic
alternatives in gardening and push these particular products hard.  I
am not a fan of Round up.
My experiances with the Bioganic products (and no I'm not a paid
spokesperson!) have been great.  I need efficient, quick, eco-sound
products that my employees can handle with ease.  Also they need to
be cost effective.
I use the bioganic Grass and Weed killer as a spot herbicide in my
lawns and on patios that have weed growth between the pavers.  The
clove oil is not persistant, as it is a volatile oil and breaks down
quickly.  In the lawns, the affected grass is able to self repair in
a timely enough fashion (2-3 weeks), leaving no visible die off. I
have dug down to inspect the roots of dandilions that I've sprayed
and killed. I was overjoyed to find a mushy mess. No live tap root
left.
On patios, we spray the weeds when we get to our sites and then do
the rest of our maintenance.  There have been times we literally
(honest!!) swept the little fried weeds off the patios on our way
out.  Hot sunny days are the best time to get great results with
these products.
Simply put, these are good, effective products.

p.s. I joined this group because I originally had a question about
iris borers and the possibility of injecting nematodes into the
plants...has anyone done this with good results????  I adore the iris
at my accounts and have only just begun to experiance Iris Borers.

--- In iris-talk@y..., "McCullough, Greg" <icity@m...> wrote:
> Folks, you're asking some very good questions, particularly Linda
Mann, and
> I will try to make sure they are addressed on our web page. As to
acidifying
> the soil, most iris like acid soil (most beardless demand it), but
I can't