RE: Re: [iris-talk} AIS:Conventions

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Re: [iris-talk} AIS:Conventions
  • From: John Reeds <jreeds@microsensors.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:51:08 -0700

> John Reeds wrote:
> For the US, pick Oregon, Washington, or
> > somewhere in the Northeast for the most beautiful visits.
> Walter Moores wrote:
>  Aw, only three places for irises in the US?  Don't forget the antebellum
> South with its totally unique gardens draped in Spanish moss and charmed
> by Southern hospitality.  Just about all of North America has its garden
> attractions, and everywhere irises grow, the welcome mat is out there for
> you to stop and see the magnificient iris gardens.  I just took a plane
> trip to the Northern Tour in Minnesota.  The gardens were awesome and the
> plane ride worth every dollar it cost.  Regional and national hosts work
> hard and deserve praise and thanks for putting these things together and
> pulling them off.
	Walter, you are absolutely right.  I am convinced that I would enjoy
any iris convention I could go to.  Unfortunately, I have a limited budget
and limited time for vacation.  I need to be very selective, and pick "the
best" (I know, a very selective term).  The Portland, Oregon area is a mecca
for iris in this country, and a beautifully scenic region; a visitor
planning only one trip to the US would do well to pick Oregon.  This is not
intended to belittle any of the other possibilities in the least.  If my
budget and schedule could handle it, I would go to every AIS National.  The
people and gardens in the iris world are always great.

	John Reeds, in sunny southern California