Re:SPU:zone 3

  • Subject: Re:SPU:zone 3
  • From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:38:20 -0600

A question was asked--do Spuria grow in Zone 3?  I am in Zone3/4, and have
been growing Spurias for about 7-8 years--they take longer to get
established--need to be mulched the first winter (recommendation from Dave
Niswonger) and have not been dug since they were put in--
Most clumps are now a ring of shoots with the center empty--so this year I
will dig the front half of the clump and set it in--closer to the back half
of the clump--going the same direction--and not dig them again for at least
5 years.
the ones in the club garden have never been dug--and their circle of growth
is about 2 feet across now--so they will be dug totally and moved to a new
home.  There is no way that water can be held from them when they are
through blooming--but they seem to be doing well with water most of the
growing season--
There are usually 3-4 bloom stalks in a clump of 10 shoots--so I feel that
their bloom number is less than in warmer places--but each bloom lasts at
least a week--so it is worth the time and effort spent on them.
most of mine and the ones in the club garden are from Dave Niswonger--the
ones from Arizona or other hot climates do not survive their first winter
here--unless I get them from a 'cold area nursery'--let them acclimate to
the cold--then I order them--
Carryl in western Montana  zone 3/4