Re: OT-Bio Mary

Hi, and welcome to the iris list.  Not knowing where you live makes it hard to
give an accurate diagnosis, but a couple things might be worth saying.  Your
friend is right about "no nitrogen fertilizers.  In fact, iris seldom need any
fertilizer at all, at least not in my part of the country.  Some bone meal or
superphosphate in the spring, maybe, or when you plant them for the first
time, but they will do well in less than great soil.  Should be fine in what
the daylilies like.  They do need full sun, at very least half a day's worth
but preferably all day.  Also good drainage is a must, so sandy loam should be
fiine, too.  Neutral rather than acid is best, I think.  Can't say much on
that score because I never have to worry about that item.  I'm assuming these
are bearded iris, in which case one shouldn't have lots of other plants
crowding closely.  The rhizomes need the sun shining on them.   One final
thought about "no bloom":  it may be you have planted them too deeply.  The
rule of thumb for me has always been to plant with the roots down into the
soil, while the top half of the rhizome shows its back tothe sun.  Now, that
might not be quite right if one lives in the hot south, but shallow planting
of rhizomes with roots down in the cooler soil would apply anywhere.  And it
is not unusual to have no bloom the first year after planting, at least in the
north.  Once again, might be different in the south.   I hope you have great
success with your iris, so that you will want to get many more.   Again,
welcome to the iris list.

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250