Re: CULT: HYB: last to bloom

I think today is the end for the season here.  I don't think I've ever had
any Iris flowers in June here in New Mexico before, but they just barely
made it this year.

There is a tie.

I had the last buds opening on a few different cultivars today.

The "yellow" seed cultivar of I. foetidissima opened two last flowers
today.

There were three last Spurias. They were Elixea, Belise, and a yellow with
brown veining that I've lost the name of.

One MTB was Magyar Medley.

In the TB department there was a last flower on Zebra Jade (didn't even
know there was a bud left) and three flowers on Zebra Night.  There was one
last new flower on a ruffled old blue violet with a pale center in the
falls that always blooms late and for which I have no idea of a name.
That's it, all she wrote for the spring season.

But, hold on, there was one surprise.

William A. Setchell usually blooms fairly early for a TB, but opens flowers
over a long period.  Even so, it was long finished.  However, last week a
flower stalk appeared from out of the blue from a new 2004 fan , grew like
crazy, and opened three normal but smallish flowers over the weekend.  (I'm
sure it was there a bit longer than a week, but it was hiding in the
foliage.  This is the earliest rebloom I've ever had.  Is this cultivar
known for reblooming?  It never has for me.  Anyway those flowers were
still fairly fresh this morning, but they'll be gone by now.  Perhaps the
freaky weather triggered some sort of short unseasonable dormancy in that
part of the plant?

So, now I need to get all the pictures developed (yes I still use slide
film) and get my scanner hooked up (still not hooked up after more than two
years - kiss that warranty good by) and then, if I can get the modem
working again on the home computer, I can start sharing them with all of
you on the Iris Photos list.

It's been an interesting Iris season.  I'm envious of y'all up north that
are just really getting into it now.  Not envious of those long winters
though.

Dave