hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
 Navigation
Articles
Gallery of Plants
Blog
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Patents
Mailing Lists
    FAQ
    Netiquette
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
Links
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: HYB: germination experiments


I haven't tried doing this without soaking, but (barring tornadoes,
hail, livestock  invasions...) should have enough seed to experiment
this year.   I am having the opposite problem John Reeds describes -
waay too many pods.  That jet stream definitely gives the west coast bad
times when it is a good year here.

I think most seeds need moisture while they are being cold stratified,
but I'm not sure about the need for pre-soaking.

One thing I did differently that made things a bit less trouble last
year.  I did the soak the same way (each pod's worth of seed knotted in
it's own separate length of nylon stocking, labeled plastic venetian
blind piece paperclipped to the end hanging out of the toilet tank), but
when I pulled them out, instead of undoing the stockings and wrapping
each cross individually in burritos, I just wrapped the whole soggy mess
in several paper towels, then bagged them all together.  One giant
burrito.  Much more convenient and easier to monitor moisture.

When I moved pots of remaining ungerminated seeds outdoors this spring,
we were still having a few light frosts.  There was some additional
germination, spreading out over a month or more, but not very much
(sorry, no data recorded).

Last fall, when temperatures cooled, I saw quite a bit of germination
among those seeds, and brought the pots indoors after they'd had a month
or so of light chilling outdoors, where even more germinated.  These
continued to germinate over a long period of time, and while I did try
to take notes, I wasn't consistent about it.

Hmm... I just read over what I wrote, and noticed that I said 'each pod'
was soaked - which gives me an idea for yet another experiment.  Maybe I
won't even shell some of the seeds this time...

<I want to know if the soaking before the "burrito" is necessary.  It
adds a lot of work and offers an opportunity to mix up seed ID.
Comments are welcome Chuck Bunnel>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
East Tennessee Iris Society <http://www.korrnet.org/etis>
American Iris Society web site <http://www.irises.org>
talk archives: <http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-talk/>
photos archives: <http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/>
online R&I <http://www.irisregister.com>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
message text UNSUBSCRIBE IRIS



Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index



 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement