Re: HYB: Germination Experiment--long

In a message dated 6/3/2004 7:50:43 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
whozher@mintel.net writes:
> I want to know if the soaking before the "burrito" is necessary.  It adds a
> lot of work and offers an opportunity to mix up seed ID.

The purpose of soaking is to rehydrate dried seeds and separate the viable
ones from the chaff.  In recent years, I've soaked seeds only long enough to
accomplish that -- rarely more than 2 days.

Many years ago, I experimented with the lengthy soak then suggested as a
means of getting rid of germination inhibitors -- but my losses approached 100%.
I concluded that longer soaks increase the risks of inducing rot.

I did find, however, that further conditioning in damp vermiculite, perlite,
or paper towels would continue to leach out germination inhibitors with less
risk of rot.

Sharon McAllister