Re: HYB: Romantic Evening

Neil - thanks for the detailed post about ROMANTIC EVENING's potential
as a breeder.

Darn it - I was hoping for some haft width from RE, but maybe that's
relative?  RE is pretty wimpy here, but, as you say, keeps making pollen
that sets pods.  Or at least tries to.  I really like its look,
including those clean hafts, and the blackish sheen on the falls that
you mention.  Last year was the first year I tried to make any crosses
with it, but I think I only have a few seedlings that came up.

How does it do as a parent in passing along substance?

It looks like several pods from TEAMWORK (child of RE) are going to make
it to maturity here - RINGO, DUSKY CHALLENGER, dusky grape (DUSKY
CHALLENGER X GRAPE ICE), 'garden impact' (that messy hafted, narrow, bee
child of DC), and (most fun of all) HELEN COLLINGWOOD.

Can you give a similar evaluation of TEAMWORK as a parent, or is it too

(from iris-photos)
<...[after saying a lot of positives about RE]....The one most important
thing to note is the choice of the *other* parent.  Haft width and deep
                   branching are qualities that are imperitive if one
desires modern quality.   Neil Mogensen   z 7 western NC mountains.>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8