Re: HYB: pollen strikes

I didn't do much daubing this year.  I had low success with the few I tried
though.  I think I need to do it later in the day, just before dark, so the
pollen has more time to germinate and send it's tube down.  I think the dry
heat of the day may be a problem.  That is hard to do at the Bot. Garden
though, as I usually leave at 5:00 PM, which leaves two or three more hours
of hot daytime.

At home I did get a nice fat pod on the I. croatica I got from Iris
Colorado.  I only daubed three flowers, so that wasn't too bad.  I used
pollen from a plant labelled as I. marsica that another person here grew
from seed.  The "I. marsica" clearly isn't that, but it is very like a
lanky version of my I. croatica.  The pod turned purple as it matured; I've
never seen that before.  It was knocked off by the wind a few nights ago,
but it was close enough to ripe that I'm hoping the seeds are good (the pod
was starting to show signs of whitening and dehydration, which usually
means it would have split open soon).

I got a few "bee pods" this year (maybe 20 or so), but last year I had
maybe 60 or 70.  Most but not all were on clones of I. pallida this year.
One bee pod at work is on I. albicans, and even though it is right next to
a path, it is still there.  So far it isn't ripening, seems awfully slow.

At work I tried crossing I. varbossiana with I. 'Amas' (they are quite
similar).  I thought I got a good set of at least a dozen pods, but none of
them developed.  I put some pollen from both of these on 'Sambucina' and
'Flavescens' and those set - go figure.

Yesterday I did some pollen daubing with some of the very last of the
Pricklypear flowers, I was using pollen from a nice magenta-red hybrid on
everything in sight.  A bit more dangerous than Iris, but still fun.  Since
there aren't any Iris left - - -  what the heck.  Maybe I'll get a magenta
"Cow's Tongue"?