Re: HYB: umbrata (was Romantic Evening)

Bill - I'm am not trying to answer your question to Neil about ROMANTIC
EVENING, but can at least clarify what I was thinking of when I
playfully came up with the term 'umbrata'. Two irises I was thinking of
were MAGIC MAN (blue ground with blue black fall 'spot') and CAMELOT
ROSE (pink ground with red black fall 'spot').  These both are actually
the same (??) as the recessive amoena/variegata pattern.

The pattern is recessive (at least for the water soluble pigments - the
blue/purples - I really don't know about the variegata pattern), so I
guess it could be present in ROM EVE, but hidden by dominant progenitor
type amoena coloring on the falls.

Neil has tried several times to explain all this in such a way that I
can remember it, but I keep getting all these presences and inhibitions
of colors in different layers of the petal all mixed up.  Requires
thinking about too many double negatives in multiple dimensions - the
brain cells that used to be able to think about such things died a long
time ago!

From iris-photos:
Neil said:
<Genetically, RE is, among several other things, an "Umbrata"--to use
Linda Mann's term for the
                     fall-overlay pattern probably derived primarily,
but not exclusively, from *Iris variegata.*  >

<I do not know much about the "umbrata" as a pattern or even if it
actually is a pattern. It is unlikely
                   I will spend much time beyond here attempting to
dechiper my
                   reservation/understanding/misunderstanding/ or
concern. Heretofore it seemed to have been used
                   to discribe an absence of color and a spot of color.
To my eyes Romantic Evening has neither.

                   Does your post refer to it being a genetic carrier of
the trait? With color? Without color? A carrier of both at the same
time?  Alway perplexed and a lot slow. Smiles Bill Burleson>

The photo archives are so busy these days, I can barely get my stopped
up computer and phone modem to look at stuff there, and since posts
don't always make it thru Yahoo to the archives anyway, I thought I'd
just post here.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8