Re: HYB: umbrata (was Romantic Evening)

Umbrata--and the band.  Some have it, some don't and the width of the band
varies.  What determines how much of the fall is covered by the Umbrata
probably is a different genetic element limiting or allowing the spot. The
band where I-sub-s is absent have exactly the same color as the standards.
The outside of the buds do too.

My own seedlings which inherit their Umbrata from 'Romantic Evening' have the
fall overlay solid to the edge in some cases, in others the overlay pales as
it approaches the edge so that if one looks really closely, one could say a
band were present.  In the second generation the fall overlay varies more
among the seedlings, some with pronounced bands, some without.  All of these
seedlings to which I'm refering arise as crosses from RE to selfs, or the
seedlings from (self x RE) X self.

Some of these seedlings have solidly colored falls much darker than the
standards, RE style, some with strongly marked hafts, some quite solid, and
some have lightly brushed on uneven blushes of color on the fall with quite
strongly marked hafts.

I don't see any other way to interpret what is going on among these

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains