Shipping Irises

Bill Burleson and I did an experiment in a recent iris trade.  We wanted to
see how irises would fare if shipped dry or wet.  So I dug two irises of the
same variety, trimmed and washed them both, then set one out to air dry for a
day.  The second iris I left sitting in water then just before shipping them I
put the wet one in a plastic bag and sealed it.  The irises were shipped in a
ventilated box and took 3 days to get there.

Here is the surprising (to me) results:

  "The plastic wrapped rhizome was in slightly better condition than the other
of the same variety.

  While they both were in good condition. The leaf tips had only slightly
browned (about 1 mm) down from the cut on the wrapped rhizome and about 3 mm
on the unwrapped ones."

Who would have thunk it?

Tom Greaves
near Dallas, TX