Re: HIST:Gracchus

On Jun 12, 2004, at 8:31 PM, Irisacher@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 6/12/04 8:58:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
iris_nut@yahoo.com writes:

I was looking at the HIPS section of the World Iris Association website,
and it says Gracchus was on a black list. What is the black list and why does a
plant get on it?

Hi, Carole. The new American Iris Society spent quite a lot of time and
effort rating and recommending the "best" irises to grow, after it's formation.
In 1925 it issued both a "white " list of recommended varieties, and a "black"
list of older varieties that were thought to be inferior, or superseded by
better irises of the same type.

I am a little confused here. the American Iris Society was formed in 1920 with John Wister as president. They issued their first bulletin in January of that year. They may have reformed themselves in 1925 (thus Dorothy's comment about the "New American Iris Society) I have the bulletins from 1920 -23 but not the rest of the twenties.

In 1931 the AIS issued a "Discard List" which I thought was nicknamed the "Black List" but I could be wrong.

Can anyone amplify on this?

Graccus is in the 1931 "Discard List"

John | "There be dragons here" | Annotation used by ancient cartographers | to indicate the edge of the known world.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending: