Re: HIST:Gracchus

Thanks John! The site that mentioned Gracchus was black listed said 1924 or 1925. Maybe that date was in error, since there seems to be some confusion here.

John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com> wrote:
On Jun 12, 2004, at 8:31 PM, Irisacher@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/12/04 8:58:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> iris_nut@yahoo.com writes:
>> I was looking at the HIPS section of the World Iris Association
>> website,
>> and it says Gracchus was on a black list. What is the black list and
>> why does a
>> plant get on it?
> Hi, Carole. The new American Iris Society spent quite a lot of time
> and
> effort rating and recommending the "best" irises to grow, after it's
> formation.
> In 1925 it issued both a "white " list of recommended varieties, and a
> "black"
> list of older varieties that were thought to be inferior, or
> superseded by
> better irises of the same type.

I am a little confused here. the American Iris Society was formed in
1920 with John Wister as president. They issued their first bulletin in
January of that year. They may have reformed themselves in 1925 (thus
Dorothy's comment about the "New American Iris Society) I have the
bulletins from 1920 -23 but not the rest of the twenties.

In 1931 the AIS issued a "Discard List" which I thought was nicknamed
the "Black List" but I could be wrong.

Can anyone amplify on this?

Graccus is in the 1931 "Discard List"

John | "There be dragons here"