HYB: best mamas etc

Watching stalks wither/rot away under pods, two "mama" cultivars have
caught my attention this year as especially good parents.  No stalk
problems at all on HELEN COLLINGWOOD or RENOWN, both carrying lots of
pods.  Plus most attempted crosses on these two were successful.

For what that's worth....

Last year, we drowned, this year we fry.  Little or no rain for what
seems like an unusually dry late May/June.  Unless you count the
humidity!

Anybody else have exceptionally successful "mama" cultivars they'd like
to report?

Four more borers last week on two more plants.  Two of these looked near
death - parasitized?  Borers don't stand much of a chance here if the
irises dry up and drop their leaves!
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8