  From: Harold Peters
  To: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 7:48 AM
  Subject: RE: [iris-photos] gypsum

  Irises are heavy feeders including both calcium and sulfur. Plant nutrients
have to be dissolved in water for the plant to be able to adsorb the nutrient.
Since gypsum (calcium sulfate) has a very low solubility, neither the calcium
nor the sulfate are readily available to the plant. The low solubility also
means gypsum has a very minor effect on pH. The gypsum package gives the
application rate for loosening the clay. The rate  is high enough that the
ground is white before tilling it in.

  Harold Peters
  Beautiful View Iris Garden
  2048 Hickok Road