HIST -- archiving, saving old and "kinda old" iris catalogs and papers

Hi Rosalie!

Oh, irisarians aren't immortal?  :)

Couple weeks ago, at a meeting of the Sydney B.
Mitchell Iris Society, someone told me, "oh, too bad
you weren't in the club just over 5 years ago, I
looked and looked for someone interested in all these
old catalogs and *hybridizer files*, none of the iris
societies wanted them, and we ended up throwing them
out".  Sad!

Don Spoon of Winterberry, calls the "not 30 year old
but not new" iris, "classics".  I think of iris
catalogs and papers of that era, as "kinda old".

1) HIPS has an archive, c/o Dave Silverberg (hi Dave!)

2) I'm archiving old catalogs, especially 1930s and
earlier.  Any I get that are later than 1945, I give
to either Jean or Laetitia (see below).

3) Jean Richter is archiving old Austin catalogs, and
other catalogs, and is also interested in the "kinda
old", 30 or so year old stuff, also 80s.  She's on
this list (one of my housemates).  She has special
interest in space age iris, rebloomers, and "black"

4) Laetitia Munro is interested in old and "kinda old"
catalogs and papers, also 80s.

5) Jean and I are slowly scanning old catalogs,
have them as pages in JPEG format, can put them on
a CD for people.  She has a bunch of Austin catalogs
scanned, I did 1934 Schreiner's, and an Austin paper.
I have Adobe Acrobat, and so am figuring out how to
assemble JPEG pictures/scans, into PDF files (readable
by anyone, can get free Adobe Reader).

We've also shared old catalogs with a number of
by photocopying them.

So anyhow, yes, Jean or Laetitia would be interested
in the "kinda old" catalogs and info you have.

A corollary of this, is that Jean and I now save
current garden catalogs we get, for The Future!
(even ones that are for daffodils, e.g., not iris).

> ------------------------------
> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:52:29 EDT
> From: RYFigge@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [iris] HIST -- AIS Black List/ and
> catalog immortality
> Gesine must think irisarians are immortal - that 70
> years of saving catalogs  to be valuable to us!
Maybe the young ones of you!
> -- Maybe I can go back 30 years, anyone interested
in those?  I believe the HIPS library?  If I can
> find time and the "git-up-and-git" energy to send
> them -- I'm trying, have been trying for several
years, to find "homes" for lots of stuff and stuff
that I have, before my children will wonder just what
to do with it! !
Rosalie nr Baltimore,
USA zone 7, and the coolest, so far,  and wettest June
I remember!