Re: CULT: Variegated foliage

In a message dated 6/16/04 9:18:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
whozher@mintel.net writes:

> <What's the experience out there with variegated foliage iris?>

I have successfully established both the cream and green pallida (which I
believe is the one named "Zebra") and the white and green form (which I believe
is I. pallida argentea.  It took two attempts.  Now they have been happy for
several years.  They do not increase rapidly. They also bloom sparingly,
although both did bloom in this year of torrential rain (maybe that should tell me
something). The blooms are very fragrant but certainly plain otherwise. I have
enough now that I will probably pot up a couple for our sale, but I would
definitely sell them in a pot. One other observation....both have much cleaner
foliage (less leaf spot) than nearly any other bearded iris in this year of rain,
rain, rain.

Dorothy Stiefel
Spencer, NY
Zone 4/5