Re: help for a beginner

In a message dated 6/22/04 12:17:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
drlynn@wi.rr.com writes:

> Trim dead fans back? Time to divide?  Fertilize?

Hi, Lynn. I'm assuming that the dead fans are soft and mushy due to rot?  If
so, I would remove every trace of the rot. Usually the fan just pulls away.
Scrape off ALL the goo with an old spoon or something similar, right back to
solid white rhizome, then dust with a powdered, chlorinated kitchen cleanser
(Comet, Ajax, etc.).  That should stop the rot, but if it stays wet, you'll need
to keep an eye out for new infections.   I wouldn't divide unless the clump
needs it anyway.  And I sure wouldn't fertilize when I had soft rot going.

Good luck!  I sympathize. It has been incredibly wet here this year, and this
weekend I took the extreme step of digging some rhizomes that were in big
trouble, and put them in pots until the soil in the bed can dry out a bit.

Dorothy
Spencer, NY
Zone 4/5 and real soggy