Re: CULT: Rebloom -- Wearing Rubies

This year I have my first experience in imports from Tempo Two.  I had a
friend order 'Machismo' for me.  It is in a large pot from its February
arrival.  The pot has migrated from a window behind my computer equipment to
the deck in deep shade, to the well-lit part of the deck. Two increases have
recently shown up.

I had found some other very expensive and highly valued irises having problems
in the garden, so potted them also--all in the Fafard potting soil I use for
seed germination, setting the rhizomes directly on top of the potting soil and
adding sand to almost cover the rhizomes.  I salvaged all the problem plants
(one of which was 'Wearing Rubies').  I am having so much good fortune with
the potted iris I'm seriously considering potting a number of others--and this
year's orders as well.

The 'Machismo' has a suspicious thickness at the base of the fan.  I was
warned that June or July bloom on the first year of import was common--with
the plant often taking a rest the following spring.  The year after that the
iris has normally settled in and is in step with its American cousins.  It
sounds as many or most of you are experiencing this also.  I don't believe
these off-season bloom would be considered re-bloom.  They're just typical

What are the chances of drying and freezing the pollen (if any) and holding it
to spring?

Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC mountains---"same old--same old" cycle of rain,
downpours, sprinkles, more downpours.  A lot of stalks have rotted out from
under pods.