Re: Re:HYB: storing pollen (was rebloom..)

How do you go about freezing the pollen ? Do you wait till it is dry ?

Sandra

Linda Mann wrote:

Neil - this spring was my first success in using frozen, stored pollen
from the fall before.  About the time I was ready to try using the
stored pollen, someone here had warned that it loses viability moving it
in and out of the freezer.  I had no success last year with frozen
pollen, so this year, only took it out of the freezer once, when I was
sure I had good blooms and weather was optimal.

I got several pods from frozen fall collected pollen from VIOLET MIRACLE
and VIOLET TURNER, neither of which bloomed this spring.  The VIOLET T
pollen came from plants dug and brought indoors in the fall to avoid
late freezes.  Stalks had formed, but blooms weren't open when temps hit
the mid 20s F

This fall, I plan to store pollen in several containers for repeated
use, taking them out one at a time.

The big problem with collecting decent pollen this time of year is
getting it before the bugs eat it all.  Maybe cut buds and open them
indoors where you can keep the bugs off?

                  > What are the chances of drying and freezing the
pollen (if any) and
                  holding it
                  > to spring?
                  >
                  > Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC mountains---"same
old--same old" cycle of
                  rain,
                  > downpours, sprinkles, more downpours.  A lot of
stalks have rotted out
                  from

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8