Re: HYB:pod:deer story

In a message dated 6/24/2004 7:48:09 AM Central Standard Time,
crusher4@wnclink.com writes:

> Is it heavily wooded around your home.

I've lived in and near woods before and not had trouble with deer.  Once, in
Alvaton KY, one stepped on Annabelle Babson and buried her about 8 inches in
the soft soil, but that was the only damaged I'd seen from deer.

I lived in the edge of a woods in MO and raised a huge garden with no problem
from the deer, even though I could see them grazing in a meadow within sight
of the house.

I'm thinking part of it is the result of bigger deer populations.  I'm only a
few hundred feet from the creek which wanders through this part of the
county.  The deer had been traveling through my 2 acres at least twice a day.  I
first saw the tracks when my garden was plowed last fall.  During the winter, I
counted heads and there were 7 in this herd.  After deer season there were only
4.  The last 10 days or so, for some unknown reason, I have this one little
one still following the old trail.  The rest are gone.

There are a lot of woods in this area.  It's three miles through the fields
and woods to the lot where my son and his family are having a new house built.
During that drive, I will usually see two to three groups of deer.

Very early, when we were coming out of winter, the deer nipped the tops of
some fans in the back row of irises.  Other than that, they left the irises
alone showing a clear preference for the daylilies.  Until this pod thing.  Had I
had any idea they would bite off the pods, I'd have sprinkled or sprayed
something on the irises earlier.

I don't know if they will bother the green beans, tomatoes or green peppers,
but I'm not taking a chance at this point. I was busy transplanting iris
seedlings and got the garden out late so the watermelons are just now starting to
vine.  Still, I'm looking forward to having fresh veggies on site!

I'm seeing a bit of mole or vole activity.  Haven't identified the source
yet, but I'm seeing tracks of what I think are moles.  Not sure I know what a
vole is.  We think I'm gardening on an old feed lot, know for sure it was pasture
land of some sort, so I figure grubs are plentiful.  I gave up on tulips
several years ago.  Not in the market for bulbs that have to be treated as

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: