Re: HYB:pod:deer story

In a message dated 6/24/04 8:48:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
crusher4@wnclink.com writes:

> I'm from Ohio so I found this really surprising.  Canton, Ohio is were I'm
> from.  We raised gardens full of veggies and a number of these plants you
> mention and had no problem with deer.  Deer must be more plentiful were you
> live.  Is it heavily wooded around your home.

Hi Sandra,

Yes, deer are very, very plentiful here and we do not live in a wooded area,
but in a city.  When we built here in 1958, we occasionally saw deer in the
fields, but they didn't come into the garden.  We used to grow over 100 tomato
plants, as well as squash and cucumbers, but in the last 10 to 15 years, the
deer have decided we have the best food.  Our neighbors don't have problems
because they only have grass and evergreens.  I forgot another thing the deer
like.  They prune our apple and crabapple trees during the winter and reach for
any apples and pears they can reach as they get close to ripening.