Re: SPEC: pallida & squalens (from the species forum..

Apologies for posting this here, out of context, rather than to the
species group, where the discussion is being held.  I'm lurking instead
of subscribing - trying to keep down the volume of mail...

The World of Iris (p.44) states:"...on the mountainsides where these two
species [I. pallida and I. variegata] grew together, many wild hybrids
appeared, which were first considered to be species and so were named
amoena, neglecta, plicata, squalens....."

Continuing on p. 45: "W.R. Dykes...found the true species [pallida and
variegata] and innumerable hybrids intermediate between the two.  As
further proof of the origin of these wild hybrids, he turned collected
plants of authentic I. pallida and I. variegata over to Bliss, an
English hybridizer, with the request that he hybridize them and check
the results (Bliss 1922).  In his first generation hybrids, Bliss
reproduced most of the wild hybrid types and raised seedlings
practically indistinguishable from the finest nineteenth century named

There's a bit more on pages 81 & 82.

So, Bob, maybe the Bliss 1922 publication is the one you were thinking

Bob Pries said:
<On the issue of pallida/variegata ancestries, I am certain I had seen
                   squalens proclaimed as a legitimate botanical x name.
In other words Iris
                   xsqualens for any variegate/pallida hybrid. But at
the moment I can not site a
                   reference. >

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8