RE: HYB: Substance

PINK FORMAL (an even older historic - Muhlenstein '49) also has better
substance than a lot of modern intros.  Schreiner's 60s catalog says
'extra heavy substance that holds in the hottest sun'.  Form is not good
here - sort of crunched looking.  But it is remarkably fertile both ways
here and capable of carrying pods through the summer slop.  Bee
seedlings had good substance.

Just for fun (and to annoy KK?), I put some PF pollen on HAPPENSTANCE
this year - H didn't have any pollen, or I would have made the cross the
other way.  The stalk rotted out from under the pod and the pod rotted
at about 6 weeks.  But the seeds look like some <might> be mature
enough.

Good pods on PF from BETTY DUNN, and might have a few surviving
seedlings from last year's cross of PF X C SONG big enough to bloom next
spring. Or this fall (I wish!).

Glad you asked this one Betty - I don't have much of anything with
really super substance to work with yet.

< An older historic - WEBSPUN (Craig '68) - surprised me by having
superior
substance compared to even most modern intros. Donald Eaves  Texas Zone
7b, USA>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8