Re: HYB: Substance

Thick waxy petals would be JUST MY STYLE(Ernst99). It felt more like a wax imitation than a real bloom. See Iris-Photos

Michael M.

Sandra Barss wrote:

I was wondering about that, too. The definition I was using was thick, waxy petals....
Fjord, Orinoco Flow and Lace Legacy all demonstrate that in my garden. Copotonic is
another iris that has thick petals but it is a soft plush velvet texture.

RAINACRE@aol.com wrote:

I'm curious what criteria are being used to determine substance. Two varieties posted as have good substance, grow for me with what I would describe as "soft" substance: Louisa's Song and Recherche. I like both of them and have used both in crosses, but they are distinctly soft to the touch. Both are laced and every laced lavender or blue I have grown has had similar substance. I would prefer them to feel leathery or crisp to the touch. What do others think?

Fred Kerr
Rainbow Acres