Re: HYB: Substance

"J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com> wrote:

>>> As to what "substance" means, I consider it to mean a bloom
that is
resilient to the touch and doesn't become translucent or droop
in the rain. <<<

Decided to quote this post since it comes the closest as to what
I would describe as 'substance'. Especially the "doesn't become
translucent". In a garden judging session I was in, the
instructor put a pencil under the falls to see if we could see
it. If we couldn't, it had more 'substance'.  I also like
Sandra's description of 'thick' petals....altho' not the waxy
kind - don't know what that is. :-(

The TBs that exhibited the most substance are the ones that
looked the best for the longest period of time. A lot of Brad
Kasperek's and Schreiner's stuff did that as well as Tasco's and
Baumunk's. Rick Ernst's 'Ring Around a Rosie' (or is it 'the
Rosie?) is showing great substance and so is 'Merlot'
(Schreiner's) and so is L. Powell's 'Seeking'. I think the ones
that perform well in one's garden tend to become favs.

Still have lots of TBs blooming including those three - and
most of the Siberians are still in bloom along with the peonies.
Good show this year.

Ellen Gallagher

The Society for Siberian Irises web page:  http://www.socsib.org