CULT: Arilbreds

Hi everyone,
Have been looking at some iris photos etc. and have become interested in the Arilbreds. So I have some questions.First of all, what is the purpose of the "appendage" on an Aril seed? Is that just something left from where it attached to the pod, kind of like an "umbilical cord", or has it got some other function? And do any of you know if there's a snowball's chance in you-know-where of the Arilbreds being able to be grown successfully in my area (zone 4/5, Wisconsin), if I prepare a bed with sand and good drainage? From what I have found so far, it seems the problem might be moisture rather than cold - is that correct? Also, does the percntage of Aril in a variety correlate at all with moisture or cold hardiness, in general?
Thaks for any info. you guys may have.

Carole Taber
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5