Re: CULT: Arilbreds

Hi Carole,

We're in a warm zone 4 and raise quite a few ABs.

I can't answer your questions about the appendage on the seeds but you're
right that moisture is more of a problem than cold. We dropped to -29 last
year and stayed close to that for about a week. I had more problems with TBs
than ABs being hardy.

The only Aril I've found that can't take the cold is I. korolkowii but
EMERALD FANTASY sails right through. It has korolkowii 'Brown & Green' as a
parent and looks a lot like korolkowii on steroids. It seems to be pretty
typical in that the amount of aril matters less than the hardiness of the
individual iris. The only way to find out how any will do for you is to
experiment.

Our soil has a high percentage of sand so I amend the soil with a bit of
compost. The ABs seem to enjoy it especially if the area is well drained.

If you haven't joined the Aril Society, you might want to check into it. A
3-year membership will get you the newsletters and a coupon to use in the
yearly iris sale. :-)

Christy

Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN