Re: HYB: seedlings

In a message dated 6/29/2004 7:33:56 PM Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

> early-October thru
> early-Jan?

Sent the other one by accident.

Linda, I've used chicken wire and leaves in the past.  As I read back over my
records, It does seem this helped with earlier and better germination.  Maybe
the key is to place the pots in an area with at least partial shade to keep
them from warming to much during the day.

Out door/mother nature planting . . . Digging the v shaped trench is the
hardest part.  It seems an either or thing. Placing the pots side by side to
facilitate the fencing or chicken wire, makes it difficult to come up with the
trenches. (easily) A combination of a trench, leaves, and afternoon shade gave me
the best germination ever. Followed closely by leaves and afternoon shade
without the trench.

Referring back to the 6 inch cover of leaves.  Germination rate was better
and a bit earlier.  The acid drip each time it rained may have helped erode the
seed casing, increasing the germination rate.  Opinions?

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: