Re: CULT: Arilbreds

Hello Carole,

I believe a good many of the arilbreds would likely grow successfully for
you.  The trouble is I don't know which specific cultivars those would be.
My own growing conditions are considerably different from yours.  I think it
might be worth noting that most of my losses tend to occur in the hot, dry
summers we are subject to having and not in the cooler wetter spring and
fall seasons.  Certainly they don't occur in our mild winters.

As for the aril collar, I can't be of much help.  It is the attachment point
of the seed.  In arils it is very distinct.  In arilbreds it varies
depending on inheritance, I think.  It appears to be just a starchy doughnut
shape on the end of the seed.  As a starchy bit of material it may provide
food to a sprouting embryo but I don't know that as fact.  It has the
reputation for inhibiting germination of the embryo.  I'm not sure about
that.  I suspect the tendency to dormancy is contained in arils due their
origins in what tend to be inhospitable climates and probably have
germination inhibitors aside from the aril collar though it could be a
contributor as well.  Opinion only on my part.

I hope you try some.  They are change of pace from the other bearded irisis.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA