CULT:Late bloomers

I've had some that have been surprisingly late.  ADOREGON opened two lovely
blooms, its first, just three days ago, and they still look just as fresh as
they started out to be.  I put DECADENCE pollen on them, but don't have any
idea if they are taking.  This flower is far, far more beautiful than the
published (catalog) photo suggests.  The pink beard on a light lilac blue
somewhat dark-top flower is exquisite.  I am delighted with it.

TOUR DE FRANCE bloomed quite late too.  It has its second bloom open, and I
am just stunned by the beauty of this velvety yellow amoena--a unique
combination, I believe.  Form, substance, everything is all I could ask for.
I am so delighted with it I can hardly believe it is real--and put DECADENCE
pollen on it too (a cross I *did* plan in advance).  I won't know for
several days if I have a take or not.

Then, in an area overly shaded (which delays bloom) one of the VIENNA WALTZ
X P 1-9, sib to Power Woman, bloomed just yesterday.  Two flowers opened, no
haft marks, beautiful medium to light brown with violet-brown Umbrata
overlay on the fall leaving a fairly wide corona (band) around the Umbrata
spot.  Beautiful form, ruffled, BB, flower in proportion in size for height,
and probably decent branching, although I won't know until I get it out and
growing in good light.  I discovered it by accident, as it is among more
robust, larger plants that didn't bloom--or froze.  I was most pleased with
what I saw.  It is by far the best of this cross to date, and I think I am
going to pitch all but it and possibly one other of the cross and move on.

Opal Brown's OCEAN JEWELS which I have in an out-of-the-way place has a
stalk that has only shown any color for the last two days--a very late
bloomer here, as most things are completely or nearly done.  This variety
has lovely form--on occasion.  More often, the standards don't behave very
well for me.  It has beautiful, delicate color and survives tough
conditions, one of the few reasons I keep it.

Neil Mogensen  z  7  Reg 4  western NC mountains