AIS:Judging:disqualifying cultivars

In a message dated 6/1/2005 8:03:47 A.M. Central Standard Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

<<<a specimen that differs
that much from the obvious norm  for the variety isn't going to be a ribbon
winner  anyway.>>
Neil, I understand and appreciate your position on this issue.  I,  too,
prefer not to stir the pot.
Years ago, I grew PHOENIX (Keppel).  In my side garden it was a  luscious
plum color.  I loved it.  A couple of years later I moved  part of it to a spot
on the top of a hill.  It bloomed more  raspberry.  Not appealing to me at all.
When someone challenges an iris based on shade of color, presence or  lack of
glitter, wide form, or because "it's never looked like that for  me," in a
private conversation I'll sometimes say "maybe." Sometimes the  difference is
only different for that particular grower/judge.
But, what about the growers and exhibitors listening that don't know about
the differences based on soil, rainfall, particular fertilizers, weather,  etc?
 How are they to learn?

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: