Re: CULT:Late bloomers

Jeff  --  I think that Joseph's Coat and Kaleidoscope are blooming here
later than usual.  They are planted in full sun, where they've been for 4
years, now.  Since it has been years since I tried any hybridizing with
them, I really haven't paid their habits much attention.  I do remember,
though, about a couple of weeks ago, wondering when they were going to
bloom.  Then, this past week, out they popped!  I must say, however, that
several other border beardeds and an MTB started blooming at about the same
time.  On the other hand, some other border beardeds started right along
with the TBs.

Another surprise to me was Jennifer Rebecca, which bloomed earlier than most
of the TBs and then sent up some late stalks that bloomed nicely.

This has been a strange year.  It has been generally cooler than normal,
with the number of balmy days countable on one hand.  Nights are still in
the '50s.  I've slept with the windows open only about three times.  People
were wearing jackets to church this past Sunday.

Bloom season here actually began early, it seemed to me, with TB bloomstalks
up all over the place in late April.  Then temperatures plunged and stayed
down for more than a week, and the irises went on "hold".  Peak bloom here
was the weekend of May 15.

There have been some other remarkable things occurring here this year, which
I'll mention in replies to Neil and Al Bullock later today.  Must run some
errands.  --  Griff