Re: HYB: goals

Neil, that is really discouraging.  As much as you love those
Ghio/Keppel lines, have you considered container growing instead of
planting them in the ground?

When my sister was visiting here in early April, while settin' on the
porch swing, I noticed some plastic bags of irises that got shoved into
a corner of junk back in late summer.  About the time we found those
dried up rhizomes is when Betty posted info on her 'recipe' for growing
balky EDITH in pots in our wretched climate.

I mixed up some perlite, potting soil, and rotted horse manure with a
small shot of 6-12-12 and crushed limestone and potted them.  I cheated
a little and gave them all one small sip of root booster solution (some
hormone plus fertilizer), then forgot about them.

They all lived, are growing like mad, and one has two new bloomstalks

I'm ready to order some plants for pollen sources to treat the same way
- store them in bags on the porch until March, then plant them in pots!
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8