Re: CULT: Pod setting

I'm only an infrequent pollen dabber compared to some of you breeders out
there, but I have seen a few patterns during my trials and errors.

My best results are when it's cool and cloudy.  Hot sunny days are bad for
pollinating here.  Early morning seems to work better than evening (don't
understand this one), but both are better than during the heat of the day.
 Often, due to circumstance, I only get to pollinate one or two flowers on
a stalk, and often they are the last.  As often as not, these set fruit
just as well as if they were the first.  I have noticed that once I have
one or two pods, later pollination attempts on the same stalk most often

I've never paid attention before to which flowers on the stalk are more
likely to set if all else is equal, but when I look at bee pods there is a
somewhat higher percentage of terminal and near terminal placement than
lower down, which implies the first flowers do set better, also there are
usually only one or two bee pods per stalk, rarely more, even if the stalk
had numerous flowers.  Of course most stalks have no pods at all.

On the other hand, I just had a stalk of 'Taj Mahal' (one of the last to
bloom so I put pollen from 'Mildred Presby' on it - the only other one
that was open).  There were five flowers on the stalk, two the first day,
one more the next day, and two more two days later.  The first three
didn't set.  The last two apparently did, can't remember placement on the
stalk, but I think the first flower was the terminal flower.  Don't think
any of the 'Mildred Presby' set going the other way.