RE: HYB: Pod Setting

  • Subject: [iris] RE: HYB: Pod Setting
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" MryL1@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:58:52 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:58:52 -0500

Griff - I've heard this expressed before. Have not found any basis for it here
so far.  In addition to this, I keep daily records of time of day,
temperature, humidity, and rainfall and have yet to find any definite trend.
Some days almost everything takes and I say HAH! high humidity.  Then the same
thing happens a week later when it's dry and in the 80s.  Fresh blooms take,
old ones don't.  Fluffy pollen takes, wet doesn't very often.  But when
everything is striking, some with old blooms or wet pollen work.  Go figure!
Maybe it's chaos theory?  Then, too the cultivar probably makes a big
difference.  I have 6 pods on a stalk of Frequent Flyer, and I'll bet you a
dollar they all have seeds.

BTW, I'll crunch numbers after harvesting seeds, but seems like I have a
higher percentage of strikes using frozen pollen!  Also, I seem to have a
strike on Autumn Tryst using Jennifer Rebecca pollen - no bet there though!

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5 - only Finalist yet to bloom.